Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Ugh, ugh and more ugh for trying to get used to this internet connection. Between fighting with the internet and my children for the use of the computer, it seems as though my chances of blogging on a daily basis has become harder and harder to do. It is now Wednesday morning, 7:45ish when I sit down to begin, nobody else awake, so we'll see how the internet treats me this morning.

Evidently we've gotten acclimated to the time change and summer is officially on us with late bedtimes and late wakings up in the morning. I have to say, the sun setting by 7:00ish sure makes for easy bedtime. In Idaho during the summer months, the sun doesn't set until about 10:30, which makes my kids think they need to stay up that long, at least here they are in bed by then. They're still to young to remember that in summers past they've stayed up later and sleep in. Problem is, you can't really "sleep in" here.

Being in an apartment complex has it's drawbacks, all those early marriage memories coming back; hearing the water running through the pipes, people clanking dishes, talking while outside your apartment door, the elevator beeping. These are all the wonderful sounds of apartment living. To add to those sounds, you have what has been described to  me as "noise pollution", a good way of putting it, with all the rickshaws, 2-wheelers, buses, bike bells and city trucks whaling on their horns starting about 5:30 in the morning. That is not even the best part of what typically wakes me up. This morning it was music, I think. I can't decide if it's music or some sort of prayer being broadcast through the city. The sound of crackling city speakers, or even a truck delivering a message as it drives through the city. I'm still not sure where it's coming from or what it is for, I'm not even sure how often if occurs. If maybe it happens on certain days or if I've just gotten used to it sometimes when I'm more tired and sleep through it.  But, The BEST part of waking up in the city is right behind our apartment complex. Right behind us is a public school. They start school about 8:30. but about 7:45, every morning except Sunday,  the elementary band starts to play. Oh, what a beautiful sound elementary school bands make...um, no. Imagine my 3 little kids (Brayden is exempt because he actually has musical ability) each pick up a different instrument and start playing for the first time ever. That's about what it sounds like. No matter how tired I have been in the mornings, that is one sound that always wakes me up. I always know when it's 7:45. (I guess that's  a better wake-up call then the really hard matress we slept on for the first week) Oh, and on Saturdays we hear only the drum beat because the entire school is out on the blacktop practicing their "regiments". I wish I had a better angle to get pictures of that. It is pretty amazing. I think some certain American children would benefit from learning those regiments...mine to begin with!

One of the things I find especially interesting here in India is the desire to study school in the U.S. Having hosted several foreign exchange students, I never really thought it would be that difficult. After all, all we had to do was look at personal information and pick a picture of who we wanted to host. Most of my "beach boy" experiences have come from college students, asking how to go to the U.S. to study or work. There is such a great desire for some of these young kids to go abroad and study. I'm guessing one of the hardest things is finding the finances to be able to accomplish this. With that being said, after being here in Vizag for a solid 3 weeks, I think Ryan and I have found the perfect souvenir, for us anyway. An 18-yr old member of the church that wants to study in the U.S. Oh, remember Monica (aka Mounika in previous posts), yeah, the one I want to bring home? Well, we're not bringing her home so to say as much as we're trying to figure out how to get her to the U.S. to go to school.  As we've gotten to know the people around here, especially at church,  she's a perfect fit. Outgoing, great personality, speaks really good English...all the pluses! We'll see how easy (or not) it is to get her to the U.S. (For those of you that don't know Ryan and I very well, we always have someone living with us. In the 16 years we've been married, we have had at least 13 guests).

As promised, here are some pictures from the last couple of days:

The pretty flower hair thingy from Nazarina

Dallan playing basketball with the missionaries

Davis learning how to eat like the locals

The kids have found their favorite cartoon


Mounika trying a fruit by the foot'

Dallan and his "girlfriend"

***Market Update***
So, Ryan and I went back to the other market that we don't care for too much, and he was brave enough to take pictures. The pluses of this market are that it is within walking distance, the minus is everything else. If we don't get our hands cut off for taking pictures (everywhere we take pictures we are asked, "No, photos, sir"). Anyway, the pictures can speak for themselves...

toiletries

rices

boxes and produce

we were trying to get the ants, but they didn't come out in the picture

eggs

big mess!



No comments:

Post a Comment