Friday, July 13, 2012

Today was definitely a day of 'firsts'. I saw my first trash truck. (Who would have thought? I just assumed all the trash was burned over here...we see that regularly). I saw my first official police man in uniform. We've seen traffic police, I'm not sure how 'official' they are, but this was a legitimate police officer on a motorcycle, with the hat and everything. Hmm, we've only been here for 3 weeks...and my first dead mouse, well, there were six in all.

This morning I went to my favorite grocery store, Karashiwala, the one I told you about that has all the import ingredients, etc. I was specifically looking for white flour. Wait, let me back track a bit. Last night, Ryan decided he wanted to make scones for dinner. We were at home, no access to our driver, so we walked down to the yucky market. We looked and looked and all they had was atta (I have no idea) and rice flour. After looking over and over at the consistency we decided they were wrong on their labels (not uncommon) and that rice flour was white flour. Oops, we were wrong. The scones never happened, the place smelled "like nuts" (according to Dallan) and we were out of options, so we went to get noodles. Ok, back to Karashiwala, so I go today to pick up white flour (maida) for scones tonight. I went towards the back of the store to let the gentleman that packs everything from the big bags to the portion sizes what I needed. As I was standing there I looked down the aisle to see another employee trying to quickly walk passed me. As soon as I looked up he stopped and backed up. It took me about 1 second to figure out that he had about 6 dead mice on a piece of trap paper and surely didn't want the American to see the dead mice. Honestly, if I was in Boise and this happened I might care. I've never seen a mouse at Wal-Mart and I hate shopping there. Surely if I actually saw one mouse at Wal-Mart, I promise, I'd never go back! Here, it's kinda of like, glad it didn't come out of the bag of flour...

So when we went to dinner last night I observed the communication between two gentlemen that were there for dinner and the waiter. When you go to a sit down restaurant here (other than a buffet), and your food comes out, the waiters serve your food on your plate. Doesn't matter what you order, they gesture if you want whatever dish they have and you motion your hand yes or no. At dinner last night it was even more apparent with these two gentlemen. When their food came out, they allowed the waiter to serve them, but then when they had eaten all the food served them, they motioned to the waiter to come over and serve them again. Hmm, interesting.

Tomorrow night there will be a ward activity that we will be attending. I'm super excited and super nervous. It is a pot luck. Hmmm, what do people bring to a pot luck here. I'm pretty sure there won't be any potato salad, or jello or hot dogs...I'm going to make an apple crisp and Ryan is making a pasta. At least we'll have comfort food for dinner and dessert!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment