Friday, July 27, 2012

Friday, like most other days had it's own form of excitement. I decided to let Raju have the morning off because we had no plans to do anything. I told Ryan he could rickshaw it to work. Well, the internet wasn't working, so I rickshawed with him to work, to update the blog. I've never really done anything by myself here. And being in a foreign country where the only words I really know are 'monkey' and 'shut up' aren't going to get me very far. But, after updating the blog, I mustard the energy (after almost deciding to just walk), to take an auto rickshaw home. Here's one for you...have you ever been charged at by a cow on an auto rickshaw? No? You're totally missing out on life! While being driven back to the apartment, a cow was grazing on what little grass lines the medians of the streets. He/she suddenly decided it was done, turned and started running towards the sidewalk, but the rickshaw was between it and the sidewalk. I think I squealed, but can't be certain, it could have been an internal squeal, but I doubt it.

After making it home safe and sound I had to take another squatted shower because the neighbor was in her bathroom chatting with her kids. I never know if she's bathing them or cleaning the shower, but when I hear voices, I keep it safe and just squat. It avoids the eye-to-eye contact that I'm not so fond of.

The afternoon was full of adventure as well. We headed to a place called Thotlakonda. It is the ruins of an old Buddhist Monk Monastery. The view from the top of the hill was amazing, and it was a peaceful visit.

entrance to Thotlakonda

The rooms were once used for meditation

the biggest structure left from the monasery

lily pad pond in one of the holes

resident chameleon

After we went to Thotlakonda, we continued to drive up the coast. Mounika wanted to take us to some pyramids...we got out and walked and walked through this red, sand, but never found any pyramids, only big mounds of the red sand. Afterwards we got an ice cream...this is what Davis' ice cream looked like...

The top had bits of dried fruit (have no idea what kind)...

...and all they way down were different flavors. Mmmm (not really)
 Several weeks ago we were asked by Mounikas family to come over for dinner. We happily accepted the invitation as we love to interact with people. We show up to her house last night, she hands Ryan a wrapped package and tells him it's for the family, then hands me a box. I open then box and it's a beautiful blue saree. Her mom explains to me it is a traditional North Indian Saree. Ryan's box contained some glass pieces (cups and bowls), and we were so thankful and humbled by the gifts. A few minutes after all the gifts were opened, the missionaries showed up with a cake. I started chatting with them and asked why they were there. "For the birthday, sister". What? What birthday...after several questions, we found out it was Mounika's moms birthday. Talk about feeling sheepish! They were giving US gifts on HER birthday! To our selfish American defense, we weren't told it was her birthday, and we brought brownies, ice cream and chocolate sauce to share!

celebrating the birthday

feeding her other daughter cake...

after dinner eating brownies and ice cream (now that was gooood)

in the saree given by the Meka family. I was shown how to wear it, but it will take lots and lots of practice to do it the right way


 As we drive around the city, many people get around on 2-wheelers, as I've stated before. This is a familiar site for us to see. (Remember in Delhi, we saw 5 people...not here. Four has been the maximum.)

Two kids, two adults...
My kids, thinking they are hilarious!




No comments:

Post a Comment