Sunday, June 17, 2012

Today, is Sunday, June 17th...first a shout out to my amazing husband to wish him a Happy Father's Day. I was prepared with a card and some candy for him, but unfortunately, he still has to help out with things. It will be a Father's Day he will never forget! Oh, also some other good new, the 7:00am rolling blackout was only 15 minutes!

Before I talk about our first experience at church, I just have to let all of you know that even though we may not have living conditions suitable for a king, we are definitely being taken care of that way. Those at Ryan's office have bent over backwards to make sure we are comfortable (we will be looking for a new mattress in the next couple of days), have rides to the store, enough water, etc, etc.  Whatever we have needed they have provided it for us. Truly the way we have been taken care of has been an amazing experience in itself. I just can't thank them enough for making us as comfortable as possible and making sure all our needs are being met.

I have no pictures today, because all we did was go to church. I would have taken pictures yesterday when we went to the movie to see Madagascar 3, but they take your camera battery out before you enter the movie theater so you can't pirate the movie. The security here is way better than any place I've been to in the US, but I guess there is reason for that. I haven't decided if it should make me more concerned or more relieved.

After the movie last night we went to an orphanage to see if we could set up a time to go and do service as a family.  They decided that between 4-6 pm is the best time because the kids are back from school. This is an  orphanage that consists of 70 runaways or parent dropped off children. They range in ages from 6-14. We were introduced to them because Ryan's company has basically adopted them and each time someone from the company comes they bring coloring book, balls, etc., whatever is requested of them. Anyway, we will start going there tomorrow evening and probably be there most weekdays. The kids will be able to play games with the children, do artwork, and just let the kids be kids. It will be a nice break in the day. We are looking forward to helping out and serving. I hope this will have a positive affect on my own kids and that they will remember this special experience.

So, today we went to church. I don't think I've ever been so excited to see people in my life! I know that might sound funny, and even if the English they spoke was broken, just knowing there are people on the other side of the world that have the same beliefs and love for Jesus Christ that you do is an amazing feeling!  As soon as we walked in we were enveloped in this love, this commonality.  I am having a hard time finding the right words to explain those feelings, but I think Ryan summed it up best when he expressed to one of the classes we were in that everything is just the same as at home. A different people on the outside, their dress, their skin color, but the same convictions on the inside, a love for the gospel of Jesus Christ.  When we entered the second floor of this building, there were so many hand shakes and words of welcoming and more hand shakes, and Dallan cheek pinches.  We chatted with the missionaries, there were several of them, some from the sates and some from other parts in India.

After sacrament meeting (that was all in English), the little boys were whisked away to primary, or so I thought. About 5 minutes after they left, Davis came back into the room where we were chatting and asked, "Where's Dallan?" I thought all three of the boys had gone, but maybe Dallan had gotten lost. I looked around the room and quickly realized that before he could leave the room to go to primary a group of young men had stopped him and were talking with him and laughing with him, and of course, pinching his cheeks. Haha...poor Dally, everybody wants to touch him.

Brayden was being a little shy because he didn't have a brother to go to class with, so Ryan and I walked him to his combined young women and young men Sunday School class.  Ryan, as he is, introduces him as his son and says, "and he doesn't have a girlfriend." Of course Brayden blushes, but this cute Indian girl that has a personality like no other says back, "Oh, he will before he goes home." Her name is Monica (weird, right? I can actually pronounce her name.)  She's this super cute girl that looks to be about 13, but is actually 18. I could totally bring her home with me...

Our church experience was a great one. The little boys found some friends, Brayden found some friends that don't live too far and want to teach him how to play cricket. Ryan and I were able to meet several people and talk to them. Just getting out and socializing with other people made a huge difference in all of our countenance. I am amazed at how it's the little things in life that bring the greatest joys.

1 comment:

  1. happy fathers day Ryan! Its so wonderful to hear that your new church ward family was just as we hoped it would be. The gospel makes all the difference!!

    ReplyDelete