Friday, June 29, 2012


The last two days have been relative uneventful with funny stories or crowd stopping, but I feel like I need to update the status of our family, if for no other reason, so our parents know we're doing fine!

Yesterday, we went to the school, and like every other day we've gone, the boys have decided they like to go to my class with me to help teach nursery rhymes. Yesterday it was Conor's day. Here is how his day went:


This little guy was attached to him the entire time. Of course, when we went on Tuesday he was attached to me and wanted to go home with me. He also was trying to wipe my "white" away as I was sitting on a chair. It was so funny to watch him wipe and then look at his hands like it was going to come off. He's a cute little guy.  Victoria, the teacher told me I couldn't take him home, but there were a couple of other little girls I could have. Haha...no, thanks!

After the school, we headed to the mall to a place that has arcade games, a little train, bounce house, etc.  They also have laser tag which the boys though was a riot because the room is probably 20 ft x 20 ft with nothing to hide behind and no one to monitor. Big mistake. They about all came out in tears (except my monster 13 yr old), but then went back in later on, so I imagine all was well.  Here was my favorite part about the place. With four boys I couldn't ask for more than this:


They each had their own TV with their own game console. This was 15 minutes of pure bliss and no arguing (except between the lady trying to help Dallan and show him what to do...he was having no part of that).

Today, Friday the 29th of June marks 2 full weeks in Vizag. I feel like we've gotten our feet underneath us, that we kinda know our way around the city (almost better than our driver). And the fact that I can go to the grocery store and not care about the massive ant crawling on the soda bottle(s) and around in the refrigerator practically makes me a local, right? Yeah, probably not.

My little, sweet Conor has been dying to go to the local aquarium. For at least two weeks now, he has asked and asked. Finally today we decided to go. Now we can say we went. Fish are fish are fish...other than this guy that Ryan says looks like Elvis, they were all fish to me! However, we did find Nemo, Dory and Gill hanging out together!

Flower Horn Fish
Conor and Dallan posing with the turtles


 
 After the aquarium we went back to the place we fell in love with a couple of weeks ago, 'The Chololate Bar', or whatever it's called, and decided the food isn't as good as the desserts. That's ok, because I discovered the "history of the pancake". See for yourself...

History of Pancakes
If you can't read the print this is what it says, (and I quote) " It all started way back in 2001 when our founders Vikas and Kumar set out on a driving trip from Melbourne to Sideny, they both kept pulling into pancake factory restaurant to eat pancakes. The idea struck them that these pancakes would be a great idea for India. If you have even been to Austrailia, you will know that Australians are biggest pancake eaters and will eat them with just about anything."
I love that the history of pancakes started all the way back in 2001...just one more thing to make me laugh.

Today, we decided to go to one of the nicer hotels in the area to see if we could pay a fee to swim in a nice, clean pool. They said, YES!, so here is the rest of our afternoon:

Davis

Conor enjoying the pool






My boring afternoon...haha...I could use more of these days. It was rupees well spent!

Brayden

Chess, anyone? (Davis and Brayden playing)

Brayden and Dallan

When Ryan got home tonight we went to the store to get popcorn for dinner (no judging, remember). When we happened across a store with DVD's for sale. Ok, story time. When we first got to Vizag and bought our toaster oven, we also bought a few DVD's at the store we were at. They cost about 599 rupees each (or about $10.50 a piece). We bought 4 movies. With as much as the kids are home, they watch a lot of movies, so four days later they were watching HBO and another movie channel with shows that weren't really up to what I would want them all to be watching. So, I did what I do best. Called Ryan and said, "Tell Sri (his co-worker) to tell Raju (the driver) we want to buy some movies". Without re-describing the bagel incident, we ended up at a hole in the wall shop (we were supposed to be heading to the book store) with English DVD's for 50 rupees! Sweet! (Probably black market, but whatever, we bought 16 DVD's for 800 ruppes). As we have gone through the movies we have found out why they only cost 50 rupees each. The one marked 'Robots' was actually the movie 'Jumper' and another one of the movies were Bolleywood videos. The boys insisted we take them back to return them or get our money back, but we will not be going back because I have no idea where we were and the driver probably couldn't find his way back there again anyway. Best part about the store we found was that here they are 40 rupees ($0.70) and it's walking distance. It's amazing what you find in the city when you go out at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment