Sunday, June 24, 2012


After a couple days without the internet, which is why we fell off the face of the earth, it is now back up thanks again, to those at Ryan's office. 

Saturday we went back to the beach for surf lessons, this was our third visit. And, as promised, here are a few pictures. But first, the answer to the posed question from Friday. What animals are you likely to find at the beach in India?

horses...and for only 40 rupees you can get a pictures taken! I wouldn't pay a single rupee. I've seen this  horse freak out  on 2 different occasions, once with someone on his back. I've done that in my life, thank you!

cows...be careful....they charge. I speak from experience!
...and of course, man's best friend...lots and lots of them! This one finds me each time I we show up. 
I counted about 11 cows yesterday, 2 horses and 6 dogs...on the beach. That doesn't include the other 6 dogs in the parking lot. The only problem I see is where there are animals, there is poo! Just watch where you're stepping, and don't go barefoot! (Someone mentioned sharks...evidently there was a shark attack about 5 years back and the government ordered the fishing boats to kill the sharks in the area, so there are no longer shark threats around. Sad.)

The kids have thoroughly enjoyed surfing. Their surf instructor, Andy mentioned that in 2-3 weeks the waves will get to be about 12 feet high. Right now they are only 3 feet high. I can't wait to get some pictures of those waves!  So far, the younger 3 boys have gotten up. Brayden is a little frustrated, but he just needs to keep trying. Here are Conor and Davis:

Conor comes in saying "Weeeeeeeee"
Davis comes in smiling for the camera

I thought you might like to see what Rushikonda beach looks like, since it is pretty hoppin. Evidently Sunday is the busiest day because there is no school and so it is considered "holiday". But here are pictures of what is available at the beach we go to.

souvenirs and ice cream

You can get your picture taken on the whale blow-up toy for only 40 rupees

swimsuits...but really they are just cotton shorts. There are no swimsuits around here.

Food Court! (Have no idea what kind of food is available)

And, as promised I had Brayden take a picture of the kinds of scenes we cause when we go out in public. Besides all the people taking pictures with the kids, I seem to have my own following.  I couldn't stop laughing in the last picture because it is just so foreign to me (no pun intended).  

My kids are in front of these boys.


...one with the daughter (that's a little girl with Dallan)

One with the family...




Yes, I am wearing clothes because I felt weird with just my suit on.


The problem is, they stayed this close even after the picture was taken. Finally after about 5 minutes, I jumped up and said, "My kids, take a picture with the whole family." Hmm, not sure if it was a good or bad idea. After the picture with the whole family was taken, then we all took individual pictures with them, then I took individual pictures with them, etc, etc.





Today is Sunday, and we once again attended church. Today was pretty special, though, because we were able to attend a baptism as well. Right after the 3-hour church block, there was a young man who was baptized. When he got up to speak, I was impressed with how well his English was, but we laughed at how his excitement and enthusiasm were so contagious! He talked about how he used to be a scientist and everything was a science...relationships, money, everything. He was also a "girl hater". His testimony was so sincere and sweet. What a great opportunity to feel of his spirit and all that he will offer the people here in Vizag, India. I can't help but feel humbled every time we meet another member of the church here. The "things" they sacrifice. Beliefs that go back so many generations, changed. As one local member put it to me, "We are pioneers here in India." Indeed they are.

Today a gentleman stood up in sacrament meeting (our main congregational meeting) and talked about the importance of marriage and family. He and his wife have been married for 10 years and finally next month they will be traveling to Hong Kong, China to be sealed in the temple. This is such a sacrifice for them.  It costs so much money for them to travel. Sometimes they must save a years worth of earnings to attend the Holy Temple of God to be sealed as a family for all eternity. I can't imagine the sacrifice that must be made, but for them it is all for the blessings they will be receiving. Ryan doesn't know yet, but I will be giving them money as well to help them on their journey. How can you not want to help? It's those little things I take for granted in the states. The fact that I have multiple pairs of shoes to choose from to go to church in, when the gentleman sitting next to me in Sunday School had shoes on, but the soles were noticeably falling off. He was in his Sunday best. Showing his love and devotion to the Lord by being there, sharing his testimony with  those other members in his branch. "I stand all amazed!"

It makes me wonder why so many times we cannot come to do the simplest things we are asked...be kind to others...say our prayers...read our scriptures to know who our Savior is, what He wants us to become. I might be getting a little preachy, but for some reason when I attend church here, in India, the Spirit is so much stronger for me to feel. Maybe because I am trying so hard to understand what they are saying, in their broken English, maybe because I need to know for myself that these are people of God. People, who like me are trying to each day to be a better person. I just hope that my experience here will be able to continue with me as we travel home in August.

With that I will close, know that if my blog is not updated with at least pictures everyday it is only because my internet is down. 



2 comments:

  1. Awesome! How much are the cute saris?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! When I lived in Hawaii sometimes Asian tourists would ask to take pictures with me. It always made me laugh. :) And also feel pretty good! ha ha. And in Mexico, a few times I caught the men trying to touch my long blonde hair and they kept calling me "Kelly Kapowsky".

    ReplyDelete