Monday, June 18, 2012

Before I begin today I just want it to be made know that I do actually reread my blog posts. I read them several times before publishing them...however, after reading through the posts today I noticed a TON of grammatical or typographical errors.  My excuse is that I am so tired by the time I am done, I JUST DON'T CARE!   

Monday morning started pretty early, again...we're having a hard time getting used to this time change thing. We thought we had it under control, but it seems as though there's another wave hitting us. We've been told it will take about 10-15 days  to really feel like we've adjusted.  I think Ryan is having the hardest time. It's so different than at home because when he wakes up he works...here they don't go into the office until about 9:30, but by the time he gets a ride there he's already ready for a nap!

So, today went by pretty fast, mostly because we were able to get out of the apartment. Good news! We have a driver! Bad news...he doesn't understand a lick of English. How do we communicate? I call Ryan and tell him where we want to go, who tells his co-worker where we want to go and his co-worker calls the driver and tells him where we want to go. Sounds easy, right? Well, the first place we wanted to go this morning we went in circles for about 20 minutes, then I finally got a hold of the lady we were meeting and she came and found us on a motorcycle and then led us to the school we were going to. We were driving through spaces not meant for cars...I felt like I was in the movies. The spaces were more narrow than alley ways. Some lady we passed had to pull her legs in so we didn't run over them, there was a guy with a cart of bananas that had to duck into a back alley way and then of course the cow laying in the road.  It always seems like getting there is half of the actual experience.

Yesterday at church I met a gal who teaches at a public school, which happens to be named 'Christina Public School'. How appropriate.  Anyway, we told her we would come in today and help and do whatever she needed us to do. We sat in the office and met with one of the coordinator, chatted for a few minutes and then this sweet lady asked if the boys wanted to stay with me or go to their own classes. HAHAHAHA!!! My kids are on summer break and they get to go to school in India! I love this country! So, Dallan, Conor and Brayden sat in classes with kids their age while Davis and I taught 3 and 4 year olds nursery rhymes.  Ok, story time.  I'm not sure what exactly I had in mind when I said I would help out. I think what  I really meant was something like, "my kids need something to keep them off their ipods this summer, so put them to work." Instead, they go to class and I get the 3 and 4 year olds...the best part about the book of  nursery rhymes is that half of them I had never heard of. Ever. Oh, one more thing...they wanted me to teach the "actions" with them. Huh? Little Bo Peep has actions? Anyway, I was in a class of 35 kids, 1/2 of which were crying...loudly, in a room that is not enclosed with crazy noises going on outside and I could hardly think straight.  I asked the assistant teacher if they ever broke the kids up in groups...maybe like 10-12 at a time. I explained it would be easier if there was a smaller group to work with.  "No." was all I got. Ok. We can do this!  So I started with a couple of rhymes, they recited a couple and then I decided to just go with it and I taught them "The Itsy Bitsy Spider"...at least it has actions.  I even wrote it down for them so they could reference it later.  I then proceeded to teach all the teachers the song. It was kinda funny. One of the sweet teachers, (named Victoria...I always remember their names when they sound American), told me..."I want to learn as much as I can from you." They're really so excited to speak  English as much as possible, every chance they get.  (Even walking down the mall some random person will start talking to you...because they can. And I have to say, it's quite refreshing.)

After Brayden's class was over he was laughing because they were reading a poem in English and the teacher would ask Brayden if he was correct in his pronunciation or if the word he explained was correct. He thought it was hilarious that the teacher was asking him. Dallan's observation was this, "They sing the ABC's wrong. They sing it  ABCDEFGHIJKLMONP-LMNOPQRST-UVWXYZ." And if we hadn't sung it that way in the preschool class that was I in, I wouldn't have believed him.  Conor always adjusts the best. He came out with a couple new friends and told us about their conversations. We were only there for a short period of time because, well, honestly, I wasn't all that sure how I felt about my kids being away from me or how they would feel about being in the class. Overall, it went well and we will return tomorrow. Maybe I'll make them go from 9-3 instead of 10-12...(insert evil laugh here).

For lunch we picked up Ryan from work and went to KFC for lunch. I hate KFC...but anything familiar and with even remote sanitary practices is good with me.  Which, leads me to this question...why can I not find lettuce anywhere in India except at fast food restaurants with sandwiches.  I don't like iceburg lettuce, but I'd even take that right now. Ugh...anyway, back to lunch.  So were at KFC and some random little boy sits with us and starts talking to the kids. No biggie. His family leaves, but comes and gets him first, so he leaves with them. Before I know it the little boy is back sitting at our table taking to the kids about Play Station, what kind of games they like, etc. Ok, no biggie, he likes to practice his English, I get it. After lunch we head to the store to purchase a toaster oven (sorry, I need some sort of apprentice to cook with) and here is this random boy again chatting with Conor and Davis. It's all starting to get a little funny. Brayden thinks the paparazzi is following him because of his crazy green glasses. (He's 13, we'll just let him think the world revolves around him).  Question: How many associates does it take to help you purchase a toaster oven? Answer: 7, yes there were 7 employees helping us purchase our oven. One to ring us up, one to translate, one to bag the movies we bought, one to bring up the item and stay there to see what why there was a crowd, two to ignore the customers that actually needed help and one to carry the oven to the car for us. (Maybe Brayden is right about the paparazzi thing.)

Last, but not least tonight, Ryan got his wish...we met Andy. Andy is a local to the area, through and through, but Andy is special. Andy is bringing surfing to India.  He came to our "flat" tonight to get acquainted with the boys a bit because tomorrow they start surf lessons. He's a super cool guy, has great English and is totally down with the "bro" slang and all. He is a perfect mix of "Indian" and "Surfer". We will call him a "Surfdian". I don't know how else to put it. So, there should be some interesting pictures tomorrow.

Now, I know words are boring and most of you that click on here are more interested in pictures. The problem is that things are becoming more and more familiar to us, so I forget to take pictures. But, today I will post a few. They are kinda boring, no geckos in the bed or monkeys chasing the kids (but that would have been a great one), just everyday India stuff.

We found cold cereal. Conor gave it a thumbs up, Dallan gave it a thumbs sideways and I spit it out.

Davis like these. I give it a thumbs less than sideways.

Yay, milk...Conor won't die while we're here. You purchase it in one liter boxes and it comes warm.

Hanging out in the living room watching a movie.

Vizag at night

Can you see the church logo? It's on the 2nd and 3rd floors of this building

Davis

1 comment:

  1. I read EVERY post and they're awesome!! I love the cold cereal..."now yummier" because before, it was less yummy!! LOL!
    Glad you're having fun!!

    ReplyDelete