Tuesday, June 26, 2012

For the last 4 days, Ryan and I have taken turns having upset stomachs and feeling a bit under the weather. I think today that we figured out the culprit was bad bottled water. I read multiple times to be careful of the bottled water, check it out, make sure it looks good and new, I guess we just got a little too comfortable. Lesson learned. We will check every single bottle of water we drink from now on! I'm not sure why it didn't effect the kids like it did us...maybe they're not drinking as much water, maybe their tummies aren't as sensitive, I'm not sure of the answer, but I am so grateful that they weren't feeling yucky as well.

Feeling yucky didn't stop me from taking the boys to the school today. For one thing, I don't have anyone to call to let them know we weren't going to make it, and for another thing, I know those kids look forward to having the boys there. I didn't want to disappoint them. When I got to class I told Victoria, the teacher, that I wasn't feeling well and I just wanted to take a break today and watch. She was fine with that for about 10 minutes, when she and the assistant teacher got pulled out for a meeting. So, left in the class of 30ish 2-4 year olds were me and the "caretaker" (or as I like to call her, the disciplinarian...who speaks no English)! They were only gone about 30 minutes and I was able to hold down the fort with only 1/2 the class in tears (remember, scary white lady? she's back!) But overall it worked out fine. When Victoria returned to class there was another women that came in with her. Victoria introduced me and explained to me that it was her birthday today and she wanted to share her treat. The treat were some sweet noodles in soy milk with sugar in a silver bowl. I declined the offer because I wasn't sure how it would taste and with my stomach feeling upset and all...OH, and the fact that I just watched both of them eat from the same spoon that I was going to eat from. No, thanks! But, once again, I was assured that it would not upset my stomach anymore, that it was very mild in flavor  and a "please, please, try". A million thoughts running through my head, but the main focus is the community spoon. So, I took a hard swallow, put a tiny taste on the spoon and ate it with a smile on my face. It was actually pretty tasty, I could have eaten an entire bowl myself...with my own spoon. This whole story brings me to another aspect of the Indian culture. They are very close. If you have a friend and you introduce them as such, they are truly, honestly and in every sense a GOOD friend. Women and men walk around with their arms around each other, holding hands, very touchy with the same sex, but it is very platonic. Just showing your love and affection outwardly for each other. On the other hand, we have not seen one married couple touch, kiss, hold hands, anything, other than brush shoulders.

I have come to the realization that Americans are the backwards ones in all of this. We drive on the wrong side of the road, don't use the metric system, have waaay to much public display of affection, but when friends show affection it is because they are attracted to each other in some sexual way (or so it might be thought).

After the school we went to a sporting goods store to buy a cricket bat...Davis is enthralled with cricket! If you know nothing about cricket you'll have to google it, because it would take me way to long to explain and I'd probably get things wrong anyway. Anyone want a cricket bat brought home? The cheapest one (like what we bought) with a ball is about $20.  If nothing else, it's definitely a conversation piece!

It was an early end to the day with my stomach telling me I had already done too much, but enjoy some crazy pictures the boys took while we were driving around the city!

notice, if there was a space, it is filled with a 2-wheeler
these kids in the richshaw out the front window kept pointing and laughing at the "white kids"...and our driver

Conors great grin!


random picture of traffic, can you tell how close everyone gets? Once again, any space is filled in. I also should add there are 3 people on the 2-wheeler in front of the car. The most we've seen is 5- 3 adults and 2 kids. That was in Delhi and I was sure we'd see another, but 4 is the most we've seen here.

boys wanted a picture with a rickshaw...in the background

how I felt today. :p

Davis taking a picture

Conor taking a picture

2 comments:

  1. Wonder if you ate payasam, see
    http://www.indianfoodforever.com/holiday-recipes/onam/semiya-payasam.html if you want to make your own.

    ReplyDelete