Saturday, June 14, 2014

Awkward moment #520.

Friday, June 13.

We have a maid. Again. This time I was told she would be coming (unlike 2 years ago when some random lady showed up at my door, not speaking any English, and I turned her away…multiple times. Yes, I’m a genius).  She comes, every day, with I’m guessing her son, who is probably about 10 or 11. Neither of them speak any English. If they did, they wouldn’t be doing this job.  Yesterday when the little boy came over he found Davis’ Rubik’s Cube on the bed. He picked it up and smiled at me and I gave him a “go ahead” smile. He continued to play with it for the duration of the maid cleaning the apartment. (By the way, Davis was stoked when he solved one side of the cube, not the whole thing, but one side.) So they show up again today, this time there are two women. The new one makes it a point to look at me so I see her, but just stands there. (We’ve noticed in the past people that speak English will make it a point to speak to you so they can practice their English, but the standing and staring thing never gets comfortable.) I say “hello”, she says “Namaste”, and just stands there. Just. Stands. There. Waiting. For what? If she’s not going to break out in English and I’m certainly not going to break out in Telegu, what else is there? Yeah, I don’t know either. So weird and awkward. Every. Time. (Is that enough emphasis, because if it isn’t I’m happy to italicize all those words as well!)  But even with that awkwardness, it doesn’t beat out someone watching me in the shower..

I’m feeling pretty guilty today, as Ryan has all 4 boys at the office again. I understand the reason they want to go, but I feel like this is more of a vacation for me than it is a work trip for Ryan. The kids go because with their computers and the internet accessibility, and the ping pong table, there’s just more for them to do there. It’s still air conditioned, and let’s face it, they’re a novelty. Dallan spent all day yesterday making those silly loom band bracelets and then proceeded to pass them out to a select few before we left. He will eventually make them for everyone at the office (and probably their kids) and everyone at church (and probably their families) but honestly, that’s the reason I bought the stuff for him to be able to make it with. Still feeling guilty.

 I do have one task today and that is to walk down to the store I love, Karachiwala and get those few ingredients I know I need that they have. It’s a task because of the heat, and like most places, there’s no posted “open” sign. So I have to plan it late enough that they’ll be open, but not so late that I’m going to die from the heat. Oh, wait, it doesn’t matter what time of day it is, it’s HOT!

Here’s a good pregnancy moment…in packing for the trip I have to make sure I have plenty of certain items that I cannot find here, my favorite toothpaste, deodorant, etc. So with 3 boys/men using deodorant, I made sure I brought enough for them…however, I did forget my own. Oops. I also packed two conditioners instead of a shampoo and conditioner. Oops again.  Funny thing though, when we went to the store last night I thought I’d try to see if they had any there, and they did. One kind, one brand, one choice. Awesome! (And it’s a “roll-on” to boot!)

We also met up with our good friend Mounika today. She and her sister, Choty were very excited to see the kids again. We saw them last year, and although I look different now with my pregnant belly, the boys have grown a ton in a two year span. She even told Brayden she was afraid to stand next to him…haha.


Saturday, June 14

We still haven’t quite gotten a regular schedule. Waking up at 5:00 am seems to be the standard these days. Partly because of the time change and partly because that’s about the time the first bus comes wailing down the road blaring its horn. That sound is bound to raise the dead! So, by 7:30-8:00 pm, we’re all toast. The biggest downside to that is most restaurants don’t re-open up until 7:00 because that’s when dinner is typically eaten. Unless we can figure out a siesta sometime during the day, this just might be our “normal”. But the good news is that the temperature was much more manageable today! 

Last year when Ryan came out to India, he developed horrible allergies. I don’t know if developed is the right word, but typically he doesn’t have allergies at home, so it’s weird that he gets such a reaction here. Well, this year it’s my turn. I’m not sure if it’s because my immune system is out a whack being pregnant or what, but this sucks! If I had to start any business in India I'd sell Kleenex with lotion and aloe. The tissues here are horrible if you have to wipe your nose more than once a year.

We took the kids to see ‘How to Train Your Dragon 2’ today. I LOVE going to a movie with a family of 6 and not feeling like you’re spending a fortune. 1800 rupees for the fam to get in AND have popcorn and soda…can’t beat that! (That’s roughly $30). I’m pretty sure, though, whatever money we “save” here will be spent the last week of trip in Paris.


So, remember the little boy that comes and hangs out with his mom when she cleans floors? He’s Davis’ best friend now. We didn't do a whole lot today, and he was here most of the day. Davis was teaching him how to solve the Rubik’s cube, how to skateboard, playing the guitar and whatever else they did. In return Davis got a bike ride. He thought that was pretty fun! (And yes, they are going the wrong way in traffic...)





The kids are excited for tomorrow, they get to go to church to see their friends. Dallan told me today that then things will be much more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment